Hérault (34270) Population: 3,758 Altitude: 81 m
The commune of Saint Mathieu-de-Tréviers is a pair of side-by-side places, the Medieval village of Saint-Mathieu and the modern town of Trévers. The commune is located 20 km north of Montpellier, and only 4 km from the iconic Pic St-Loup. Market day Thur, Wed.
The medieval hamlet of Saint Mathieu, on its small hill, is small enough to be visited in an hour, and pretty enough at least for that.
The more modern center of Tréviers is spread out, and primarily residential. The commune reversed a population drain by building social housing and improving the infrastructure, and they've done a pretty good job. It's a place to live in rather than visit, but quite nice for that.
We were surprised to find a very Camarguish bull ring in the center of Tréviers, surrounded by modern, low-rise housing [Photo-07].
The shape of the Pic St-Loup dominates the skyline to the west of the commune.
History of Saint Mathieu-de-Tréviers
First record, 978 Terrivias: in the Viguerie de Terrivas, meaning trois voies (three roads). The next written mention was in 1132, regarding the Montferrand Castle (Château de Montferrand).
Prehistoric: A prehistoric menhir some 5000 years old is on display in the entry of the town hall (mairie). There were Neolithic stations at the Mas d'Euzet (just north of St Mathieu) and in the hills of the Bois des Clastres, a couple of km to the north. There was also a prehistoric grotto in the Bois des Clastres.
Lébous Chateau, 1 km southwest of St Mathieu, is a Fontbouisse Culture archeological site where fortifications with round towers from 2500 BC were discovered. The fortifications were updated and enlarged by the Gallo-Romans
Gallo-Roman: The prehistoric fortifications of Lébous were updated and enlarged by the Gallo-Romans around 4-AD. A funeral inscription "Domitia" was discovered at Cécélès, 2 km southeast of Trévers. Trévers also has vestiges of a Roman road. A Roman villa was located at Leuzière.
Medieval: The beginning of the Medieval period began with Barbarian Invasions around the 4th and 5th centuries; there were Visigoth necropoles at the Pinèdes and at Sainte-Marie de Cécélès. From the 3 Visigoth cemeteries here, a sarcophage is now in the interior garden of the community house.
Count Melgueil (Mauguio) built the Montferrand Castle in 1090, on the parish territory of Saint Martin de Tres Vies, along with a chapel dedicated to Saint Mathieu. A hamlet grew here, during the construction, and the name evolved to Saint Mathieu.
In 1215 the Countship of Melgueil passed into the control of the Bishop of Maguelone. Forty years later, the Bishop created the Free Republic of the Matelles.
In 1574 the Calvinists captured the castle and damaged the village. Ten years later, Antoine de Cambous recaptured the countship for the Bishop.
More Recently: In 1660, the parish of Saint Martin de Tréviers was transformed into the commune of Saint Mathieu de Tréviers, in memory of the chapel, by now dismantled.
During the French Revolution the village was know simply as Tréviers. It wasn't until the Second Empire that its full name of Saint Mathieu de Tréviers was restored.
Market day: Thur, Wed.
• GPS: 43.76901, 3.85779
IGN (1/25,000) #2742 ET "Ganges, St-Martin-de-Londres, Pic St-Loup"
The GR60 (Grandes Randonnées) passes through Saint Mathieu-de-Tréviers, with the trail going through the center of the old village.
To the west, the GR60 goes along the south flank of the mountain range to the village of Cazevieille. About 4 km west of Saint Mathieu, a side trail from the GR60 (490 m) goes up to the chapel and the top of the Pic St-Loup (658 m) Short but steep, and a magnificent view from the top.
Also west on the GR60, but only 2 km from Saint Mathieu, local trails go north to the top of the forested ridge, to the ruins of the Montferrand Castle (393 m).