Prieuré de Ganagobie - Provence Beyond
The prieuré (monastery) was founded in the 10th century, owned first by the Bishops of Sisteron, and donated it to the Abbey of Cluny in 956. In the 12th century, the Benedictines built the church and the Romanesque cloistures. Up to the 14th century, a small group of about a dozen monks still worked the land and the nearby forest.
The monastery was considered important until the 15th century, and the monks of Lérins (see Iles de Lérins) brought their relics here for safety from coastal raiders.
The monastery was taken by force in 1491 by the 5th Abbey of Cluny. It had a rocky road from then on, being assulted by various groups and changing owners frequently especially during the French Revolution. The domaine was given to the Benedictine monks of Sainte-Marie-Madeleine of Marseille at the end of the 19th century.
Carefully restored, the main doorway (portail) of the monastery's Notre-Dame church is the finely carved original, in the Provencal-Romanesque style. The church houses some fine religious items dating back to the 12th century, but also some locally-discovered archeologique artifacts, and the lid of a Carolingien sarcophage (see History, VIII AD).