The story of Provence Beyond, since 1995
Beyond began near the beginning of the World Wide Web. HTML programming started in 1993, allowing the creation of web pages, and in 1995, Beyond was on-line.
In the early years Beyond had more information on a town or village than the town provided. And in a few cases, the town used Beyond's URL (website address) in their brochures. Even the Michelin Green Guide for Provence had a reference to the Beyond website.
• 1991 - Tim Berners-Lee releases web software.
• 1993 - World Wide Web can be used for free by anyone.
• 1993 - First webcam goes online - watching a coffee pot.
• 1994 - Netscape web browser released; Yahoo was born.
• 1995 - Online bookstore Amazon.com launched; eBay founded as Auctionweb.
• 1995 - There are now 18,957 websites online; Beyond went online this year
• 1996 - Nokia 9000 Communicator launched, the first cellphone with internet capabilities.
• 1996 - There are now 342,081 websites online.
• 1998 - Google opens its first office in a garage in California.
• 1999 - Napster begins
• 2000 - There are now 20 million websites online.
• 2001 - Wikipedia begins.
• 2004 - Mozilla Firefox web browser launched; Facebook begins.
• 2005 - YouTube is launched.
• 2006 - The first Tweets on Twitter.
• 2007 - Apple presents the iPhone.
• 2010 - Pintrest is launched.
• 2012 - Beyond adapts to mobile devices
• 2014 - There are now 968,882,453 websites online.