•Vaucluse (84190) • Population: 943 • Altitude: 147 m
Vacqueyras is a village famous for its wine. The old village is enclosed in a circle of buildings forming a protective wall. The guard tower in front (photo) dates to the 11th and 12th centuries, and has marks of the Templiers Knights.
The street around the front of the old village is lined with overhanging plane trees, giving shade and a feeling of nature.
Vacqueyras is large enough to not be overpowered by its wine and the various "caveaux" and other related businesses. The village has a clear sense of being "local", with the tourism aspect just a part of the daily, active life here.
History of Vacqueyras
First record, 1137 De Vaqueiracio
Gallo-Roman: Among the many Roman artifacts were coins (Chambille, Pont-Neuf), funeral furniture, pottery (Fontbonne), lamp fragments (Mornas) and an altar for worshiping Mars (the god, not the planet) at Roc. A tiled burial tomb was discovered at Fontbonne, and one in a mound at Bellevue.
Tel : 04 90 65 84 24; Fax: 04 90 65 83 28
Every Thur - Marché
Every Aug - Troubadours ancient and modern
End Aug - Fête communal
Vacqueyras is in the region of the Rhône Valley wines, as well as having its own outstanding appellation, Vacqueyras. (see Rhone Wines)
• GPS: 44.138253, 4.982104
IGN (1/25,000) #3040 ET "Carpantras, Vaison-la-Romaine"
Didier Richard (1/50,000) #27 "Ventoux"
Vacqueyras sits in the midst of vineyards along the Ouvèze valley, just to the west of the woods circling the Dentelles mountains.
• Walks from the village follow the roads through the vineyards and orchards of the region.
• For hikes in the nearby Dentelles, check the village pages for Gigondas and Beaumes-de-Venise.
Department 84, Vaucluse Buses
- See Beyond's Bus Schedules Page 2: Vaucluse Department for downloading Vaucluse bus-lines map [Plan global des lignes] and bus-line schedules [pdf for each line] (link for PDF files).
• Avignon has train or bus connections to Aix-en-Provence, Arles, Nîmes, Saint Remy-de-Provence, Paris.
• Cavaillon has bus connections to Aix-en-Provence, Arles, Saint Remy-de-Provence.
• Pertuis has bus connections to Aix-en-Provence and Marseille.