Vacqueyras is a village famous for its wine. The old village is enclosed in a circle of buildings forming a protective wall. The guard tower in front (photo) dates to the 11th and 12th centuries, and has marks of the Templiers Knights.
Nearby: | Avignon 37 km | Beaumes-de-Venise 4 km | Cairanne 12 km | Carpentras 12 km | Dentelles-de-Montmirail 2 km | Gigondas 4 km | Malaucène 16 km | Orange 16 km | Sainte Cécile-les-Vignes 16 km | Vaison-la-Romaine 17 km | Ventoux Mountain 37 km |
The street around the front of the old village is lined with overhanging plane trees, giving shade and a feeling of nature.
Vacqueyras is large enough to not be overpowered by its wine and the various "caveaux" and other related businesses. The village has a clear sense of being "local", with the tourism aspect just a part of the daily, active life here.
First record, 1137 De Vaqueiracio
Gallo-Roman: Among the many Roman artifacts were coins (Chambille, Pont-Neuf), funeral furniture, pottery (Fontbonne), lamp fragments (Mornas) and an altar for worshiping Mars (the god, not the planet) at Roc. A tiled burial tomb was discovered at Fontbonne, and one in a mound at Bellevue.
Office de Tourisme
Tel : 04 90 65 84 24; Fax: 04 90 65 83 28
Vacqueyras is in the region of the Rhône Valley Côtes de Rhône wines, as well as having its own outstanding appellation, Vacqueyras.
- Department 84, Vaucluse Buses
- See Beyond's Bus Schedules Page 2: Vaucluse Department for downloading Vaucluse bus-lines map [Plan global des lignes] and bus-line schedules [pdf for each line] (link for PDF files).
• Avignon has train or bus connections to Aix-en-Provence, Arles, Nîmes, Saint Remy-de-Provence, Paris.
• Cavaillon has bus connections to Aix-en-Provence, Arles, Saint Remy-de-Provence.
• Pertuis has bus connections to Aix-en-Provence and Marseille.
IGN (1/25,000) #3040 ET "Carpantras, Vaison-la-Romaine"
Didier Richard (1/50,000) #27 "Ventoux"
Vacqueyras sits in the midst of vineyards along the Ouvèze valley, just to the west of the woods circling the Dentelles mountains.
• Walks from the village follow the roads through the vineyards and orchards of the region.
• For hikes in the nearby Dentelles, check the village pages for Gigondas and Beaumes-de-Venise.
• Latitude, Longitude: 43.23826, 6.30923