•Gard (30700) • Population: 8,626 • Altitude: 167 m
Uzès is a small town in the Gard department, north of Nîmes, with a history dating from Roman times. The circular streets around the historical center were once walls that protected the Medieval castle in the 11th and 12th centuries.
The ancient center houses Le Duché, a medieval castle with four towers, the lovely Place aux Herbes with terrace cafés and surrounding arcades, and the tall Fenestrelle tower at the cathedral, fashioned after the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
Uzès is located amidst the garrigue hills and valleys about 30 minutes north of Nîmes and 30 minutes west of Avignon. The Gorges de l'Ardeche are less than an hour to the north.
The commune of Uzès is quite large, and the town center has plenty of stores, shops and all the amenities you could want.
The shops are mainly along the circular streets around the west side of the old town, from Bvd Victor Hugo at the south to Bvd Gambetta and Place Albert 1er at the northwest. Many of the Uzès restaurants can also be found along these circular streets.
The center of Uzès old town is full of Medieval streets for wandering and exploring. If you prefer to have an idea of where you are and what you're looking at, the Tourist Office has a printed Tour of the Historic Town with a good map and describing the key points (English, French, German).
The Place aux Herbes, with its fountain, arcades and terrace cafés is crowded with people and activity during the famous Uzès Saturday marke, and is a great place for a relaxing café stop or terrace lunch.
Uzès Castles and Towers
In the 11th century there were two lords of Uzès and two castles: Bermond castle and Raynon castle. The four towers of Uzès are the Bermond tower (duchy), the King's tower, the Bishop's tower and the Fenestrelle Tower.
Duke's Castle - Bermond Tower
The Bermond castle became Le Duché, the defensive feudal castle standing in the center of Uzès old town. The castle was never attacked or damaged, and is in perfect condition. Uzès is the "First Ducy of France", France's oldest and most-important ducal peerage. Uzès was made a Duchy in 1565. The current owner of the castle is the 17th in the line, Jacques de Crussol d'Uzes.
The Bermond tower is the castle's keep, built in the 11th century by Bermond 1st. The corner watch towers were added during a restoration in the 15th century. You can visit the castle and the top of the Bermond Tower (135 steps) for a fine view of the village.
Raynon Castle, King's Tower, Bishop's Tower
The Raynon domain is immediately to the south of the Duché. The castle is gone, but the King's Tower and the Bishop's Tower are on the site. The Bishops bought their part of the domain in the 13th century and King Charles VIII bought his part in 1493.
The 12th-century Bishop's tower was the seat of the bishop's temporal powers, used as a tribunal and prison. This tall, square tower is topped by an octagonal clock tower and belfry, added in the 19th century.
The shorter, flat-topped King's tower was used as a royal residence, as well as for housing troups. Louis XIII stayed here in July 1629, at the time of the "Peace of Alès" (Edict of Alès), which confirmed the Edict of Nantes but additionally disenfranchised the Huguenots. King Charles hit his head on one of the low doorways in the tower and died from the blow.
At the east side of town is the Saint Théodorit Cathedral, with the very beautiful Fenestrelle Tower. The cathedral and tower were built from 1090 on the site of a Roman temple. Following partial destruction in the 12th century, the cathedral and tower were rebuilt in the 16th century. The cathedral was destroyed again in 1621 and rebuilt in 1642-1663.
The Fenestrelle Tower avoided destruction in 1621, but the top two layers were lopped off. This is built in the style of the Medieval Italian Lombard towers, and is the unique example in France of a round clock tower.
The ancient Bishopric, now housing the G. Borias Museum is located beside the Cathedral and Fenestrelle Tower.
The the Bishop's and King's estates became state property during the French Revolution. They were used as a district prison until the beginning of the 20th century. This is now the site of the lovely Uzès Medieval Garden, where you can climb to the top of the King's tower for a panoramic view.
Market Days, Uzès
The Uzès market is held all year, on Saturday mornings and Wednesday mornings. The market is centered on the Place aux Herbes (inside the old town, southwest part), with some stands spilling out into nearby streets (especially in the summer) including the Esplanade Maréchal de Lattre de Tassigny (at the southwest corner, outside the old town).
The Saturday-morning market is the biggest, including local Provencal products, clothing, and crafts. The Wednesday-morning market is mainly for food products, including locally-grown produce.
Uzès seems to have only one remaining lavoir (wash house). It's a very grand one, although no longer in use. Its two-story high facade has round pillars at the upper level and three arches below. Two of the arched entries are now blocked off, and the central entry is barred by an iron gate, but you can see through into the interior, with its high, vaulted ceiling.
The Uzès lavoir is located on the tiny Chemin André Guide; it's actually tucked in beneath the panoramic lookout area at the south side of the Fenestrelle Tower.
The Georges Borias Museum is a museum of history, archeology and local traditions, located in the old Bishop's Palace, on the east side of town, beside the Tour Fenestrelle.
This dry-stone borie is located along the north side of the D125 road, 4.5 km north of Uzès, 600 m east of the junction with the D979. Location: N 44.047757, E 4.411965
The area around Uzès, with the vast rocky garrigue, is rich with bories. In this part of France, these dry-stone cabins are called capitelles.
History of Uzès
First record, Gallo-Roman Ucetia
The history of Uzès is long and very interesting, especially during the middle ages. For more in-depth information, here is a website with a great history (in English) of Uzès: A Short History of Uzès (part 1).
Prehistoric: Neolithic occupation at Fontaine d'Eure, just northeast of the center. This was also in the area of the Fontbouisse Culture, with stations at the Bois de Castille and the Carignargues, 2 km southeast.
Celto-Ligurian: Celtic burial tombs with sacrificial stones was excavated at La Tène, a site called the Temple of the Druids.
Gallo-Roman: Uzès is located on the site of the ancient Gallo-Roman city of Ucetia. You can see the remains of a Roman aqueduct beside the Alzon river, just a few minutes walk east of the town, beside the Duché Park.
Medieval: The circular center of Uzès is still Medieval. The Duke's Castle (Château des ducs) is a massive freudal castle with a tower or donjon at each corner.
Chapelle des Capucins, Place Albert 1er
Tel : 0466 226 888; Fax: 0466 229 519
At the northwest edge of the old town (#1 on the town map). The tourist office is in the chapel of the Capucin Friars, built in 1635 on the site to the Roman temple dedicated to Augustus.
Market day: Sat, Wed.
• GPS: 44.010704, 4.418989
IGN (1/25,000) #2941 OT "Uzès"
"Collines et Vignobles autour d'Uzès", map+info (1:30'000)
Uzès is in an area of low hills, wide valleys of small rivers, with many small villages. The hills tend to be garrigue, with green oak, kermes oak, Provençal herbs and many wildflowers. There are marked day-hikes at Uzès and at many of the surrounding villages. The IGN map (2941 O) doesn't display hiking trails, but there are other excellent maps and small guides available.
A great map is the Collines et Vignobles autour d'Uzès - Pays Uzège / Pont du Gard (5 euros, available at the Office de Tourisme and at local book-magazine shops. This excellent map of the region shows the hiking trails and interesting sites, such as towers, wells, fountains, bories (capitelles) and lavoirs. In addition to the actual map, there's a short information window for many of the surrounding villages, which includes a description of the village, of the day-hike, and the local sites.
You can find nice cafés and restaurants all over the town center. The Place aux Herbes in the center of the old town has several terrace café-restaurants in a very pleasant setting.
A couple of places we really liked are the two listed below.
Uzès Transportation is listed on a separate page.
- Ales 32 km
- Anduze 43 km
- Arles 53 km
- Avignon 38 km
- Bagnols-sur-Cèze 30 km
- Collias 11 km
- Lussan 19 km
- Moussac 18 km
- Nimes 23 km
- Pont du Gard 13 km
- Pougnadoresse 14 km
- Remoulins 17 km
- Saint Quentin-la-Poterie 6 km
- Saint Siffret 5 km
- Sainte Anastasie 14 km
- Sanilhac-Sagriès 7 km
- Tarascon 37 km
- Vézénobres 27 km
- Uzès hotels
- Ales hotels 32 km
- Anduze hotels 43 km
- Arles hotels 53 km
- Avignon hotels 38 km
- Bagnols-sur-Cèze hotels 30 km
- Collias hotels 11 km
- Lussan hotels 19 km
- Moussac hotels 18 km
- Nimes hotels 23 km
- Pougnadoresse hotels 14 km
- Remoulins hotels 17 km
- Saint Quentin-la-Poterie hotels 6 km
- Saint Siffret hotels 5 km
- Tarascon hotels 37 km
- Vézénobres hotels 27 km