Var (83136) Population: 1,556 Altitude: 275 m
This is a typical village of theVar department, set in a wide valley of vineyards along the lovely Issole river.
History of Sainte Anastasie-sur-Issole
First record, 1252 Sancta Enestazia
The current village was built towards the end of the 19th century, after the Second Empire.
Prehistoric: The prehistoric grotto of the Horsts had silex points and jewelry [we don't know exactly where this was].
Celto-Ligurian: A Ligurian camp was located on the top of the ridge above the village.
Gallo-Roman: The Hamlet of Naples (now deserted), at the eastern edge of the village, was built on the site on a Roman fort. Remains found here were Roman and Carthaginian.
Medieval: Feudal domain of the Saint-Victor Abbey, then of the Chapter of Pignans. Later, a feif of the domain of Hubert de Garde, lord of Vins (as in Vins-sur-Caramy).
• GPS: 43.342101, 6.126083
IGN (1/25,000) #3445 OT "Cuers, Pierrefeu-du-Var, Collobrières"
IGN (1/25,000) #3444 OT "Brignoles Le Luc"
A very nice 2-hour look hike northeast from the Village goes along the top of the ridge Barre de St-Ouinis. Climbing to 636 m at the highest point, it's 360 m higher than the village. At St-Quinis, the northeastern end of the ridge, is a fabulous view, a chapel, and a fortified grotto said to be the lair of Gaspard de Besse [see Besse-sur-Issole.
There are many other forestry roads and trails in the hills north and south of Sainte Anastasie-sur-Issole, but you should have the IGN map with you.
The GR9 (Grande Randonnée) trail runs east-west along the ridge 4 km south of the village, between Carnoules and Rocbaron.
A village café in the center with the Bistro de Pays logo provides a basic plat du jour, even on Sundays.
At the southeastern edge of the center, the small L'Oustalet restaurant has a classier selection, and just a couple of outdoor tables for "terrace" dining [Photo-07].
Fun - Amusement - Kids
Touristique Train Center Var - Train Touristique du Centre Var
- A 24-km tourist train between Carnoules and Brignoles in the Var passes by the northern edge of Sainte Anastasie-sur-Issole.
- Open: April-May: Sundays; Jun-Sept: Sundays-Wednesdays; Oct-Nov 1st: Sundays
- Summer: Depart Carnoules 10h, 15h; Depart Brignoles 11h25 (check their website for details)
- Entry: 9 € adults; Children 4-10 years, 5 €
- Web: attcv.ifrance.com
Transportation Sainte Anastasie-sur-Issole
Department 83, Var Buses
- See Beyond's Var Department Bus Schedules for downloading the Var bus-lines map [Plan du Reseau] and bus-line schedules [Horaires] (link for PDF files).
- Schedules for the Var bus lines are on the VarLib Horaires-Ligne page (http://www.varlib.fr/horaires_ligne/?rub_code=6") - type the line number in the Numéro ... ligne box to access the bus schedule PDF link. (Type a couple of digits in the box to get a list of route numbers.)