Alpes-Maritimes (06670) Altitude: 141 m
Just 25 km from Nice on the N202 (Route de Grenoble), Plan-du-Var seems just a wide place in the road as you're heading north to get to the back country beyond the coast. Here you have the first feelings of being in the mountains, as they tower over you all around, and the smell of the air coming down the Gorges de la Vésubie is fresh and clear.
The train station here for the Train des Pignes is called La Vésubie, its last stop before heading into the wild, upper Var-river valley.
Just out of the village after you cross the river, you can turn right into the narrow Gorges de la Vésubie, and you'll instantly feel cut off from the rest of the world. Follow this gorge up past St. Jean-la-Rivière, Lantosque, Roquebillière to Saint Martin-Vésubie and the Parc du Mercantour.
Plan-du-Var has a brocante every Friday.
Tel : (Levens)
• GPS: 43.855646, 7.19714
IGN (1/25,000) #3741 OT "Vallée de la Vésubie"
Bus Line 770 Nice - Beuil
- Bus line 770, Nice -Beuil, departs from the Nice Gare Routier, stops at the Gare SNCF (railway station), Nice airport terminal-1 and several village along the way. The full trip takes 3-1/2 hours and costs 1 euro.
Stops include Colomars gare, Plan-du-Var, Villars-sur-Var, Touët-sur-Var, Puget-Théniers, Entrevaux, Guillaumes, Valberg station, Beuil Les-Launes, Beuil syndicate-d'initiative.
An official list of Alpes-Maritimes bus lines, with links to the schedules for each line (PDF), is available on the following link:
- Web: www.cg06.fr/fr/servir-les-habitants/deplacements/transport-collectifs/lignes-et-horaires/lignes-et-horaires/
Bus Nice - Gap
There are two buses a day between Nice and Gap, with the route Nice - Digne-les-Bains - Sisteron, and Sisteron - Gap.
- Northbound: Nice 7h00, Digne 10h10, Sisteron 11h00, Gap 11h45.
- Nice 14h50, Digne 17h40, Sisteron 18h45, Gap 19h40.
- Southbound: Gap 8h05, Sisteron 9h10, Digne 9h50, Nice 12h40
- Gap 15h28, Sisteron 16h30, Digne 17h25, Nice 2030
The Nice - Gap bus route is:
- Nice, Plan-du-Var, Touet-sur-Var, Puget-Thenier, Entreveaux, Annot-Scaffarel, Rouaine, Saint Julien, St André-les-Alpes, Moriez, Barreme, Norante, Chateau-Redon, Digne-les-Bains, Mallemoisson, Malijai, Chateau-Arnoux, Volonne, Peipin, Bons Enfants, Sisteron, Le Poet, Rourebeau, Beynon, Valenty, Monetier-Allemont, Le Vivas, La Saulce, Tallard, Chateauvieux, La Tourronde, Gap.
- The route and schedule is available on the SCAL-Autocars website (link below); select Nice / Gap and click on one symbol to view the route map, click on the other symbol for the schedule. (Schedule link http://www.scal-amv-voyages.com/horaires/circuit9.htm)
- At Nice, the bus terminal is at 16 ave des Diables Bleus (Tramway stop Palais des Expositions)
- Web: www.scal-amv-voyages.com/ligne.htm