Russ logo

All information gathered first-hand, since 1995

For visiting, you should consider the old village and the chateau-fortress as two separate visits. We spent a half-day in Les Baux, with two hours in the chateau area, and it wasn't really enough time. We will be returning. At Les Baux, the village is stretched out along a steep hillside, with a valley and steep rock walls low on the west side, and a long high ridge with Chateau fortifications above on the east side and on a rocky promontory to the south.

While much of the southern part of the Alpilles is exposed rock, the northern slopes, where the road zig-zags down to (or up from) St. Rémy, is thickly forested. The road up to Les Baux from the southeast passes through olive groves and vineyards, and passes the Cave Vignoble Sainte Berthe where you can stop and taste the local wines.

There are incredible rock formations in this part of the Alpilles, with the road sometimes seemingly cut through the solid rock with single strokes of some giant's knife.

The name "baux" means a prominent cliff (see below), but has become more well-known for the bauxite named after this region. Bauxite was first discovered in the Alpilles, and named after the village of Baux-de-Provence.

Style, in the medieval village of

Les Baux Village

Les Baux-de-Provence village is long, narrow cobblestone streets between grey-stone Medieval buildings. This compact, ancient village does include lots of shops for tourist items, and lots of restaurants, which is actually quite handy. Even with the commercial aspect of shop everywhere, the village is still picturesque, and includes interesting sights and museums as well as the restaurants.

Among the many shops in the village, the Santonnier J. Peyron actually makes the santons "sur place". You can watch him working while browing in the shop.

Entry Costs

Parking (at the edge of the village): 5 €
Visiting the medieval village: free
Chateau des Baux (castle area above the village): Apr-Sept, 10 €; Oct-Mar, 8 €
Chateau + Carrières de Lumières: Apr-Sept, 17.50 €; Oct-Mar, 15.50 €
Carrières de Lumières: 12 €
Chateau + Carrières de Lumières + Musée Brayer: 19 €

Southern part of the Baux-de

Chateau-Fortress des Baux

This area is a high flat ridge on top of the rocky pinnacle of Les Baux, with the ruins of the fortified castle extending up in walls and keeps. If nothing else, it's worth the trip for the view. For one spot you can see as far as Aix-en-Provence, Saint-Victiore mountain and Marseille; from another, towards Arles and the Camargue.

The chateau-fortress complex is fascinating, and it's well documented with many informative panels in English and French. Among the medieval-style sites are a set of huge seige engines, including
- Catapult (Baliste), 11th-14th century [photo]
- Covered battering ram (bellier)
- Trebuchet, 12th-16th century sling-catapult, that had a crew of 60 and fired two 100-kg stones an hour up to 200 m.

One of the features of the old fortress is the remains of a very large "pigeonnier" (dovecote). There's a note that the right to own a pigeonnier was a lordly privilege.

History of Les Baux-de-Provence


First record, 960: Balcium

The name Baou is the Provençal word for a prominent, elevated rock (like a protruding, narrow cliff).
The "Baux" family became powerful here in the 9th century and ruled as Lords until the 15th century (1426).

Les Baux-de-Provence has been occupied as a defensive site throughout history.

Celto-Ligurian: signs of these ancient peoples have been found here, and there are both Celtic-Ligurian and Roman necropolis nearby to the north.

Gallo-Roman: Several Roman artifacts, including burial tombs and stèles (monoliths) mark this as a Roman defensive town.

Medieval: The "Baux" family ruled from the 9th century until 1426 when the last of the lords died. Baux was integrated into the county of Provence, and then became part of France, along with Provence, in 1481. When the population revolted at this integration, Louis XI responded by "dismantling" the chateau. Baux became a barony, eventually ruled by Anne de Montmorency who rebuilt the castle and built the social life of the town to royal proportions.

Tourist Office

On Rue Porte Mage, just inside the village entry. Open 7 days/week.

Tel : 0490 54 34 39; Fax: 04 90 54 51 15



Every June, last Sat - Fete de la Saint-Jean; sound-and-light, fireworks from the plan du chateau.
July - Sept - Art and Music festivals.

Olive Oil Mills

We have 2 olive oil mills listed for Les Baux-de-Provence (click).


Les Baux-de-Provence is in the region of its own appellation, Coteaux Baux-de-Provence wines. It's also on the edge of the appellation Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence. (see Provence Wines)


• GPS: 43.743312, 4.794811

• The GR6 Hiking Trail goes through Les Baux-de-Provence.
• To the west, the GR6 follows the ridge of the Alpilles to the end, and continues on northwest to Tarascon and Pont du Gard.
• To the east, the GR6 drops down the northern slope of the Alpilles to St. Rémy-de-Provence, then climbs back up to continue east along the Alpilles past Eygalièeres and Eyguières, crossing the autoroute north of Salon-de-Provence.

Transportation Les Baux-de-Provence

Arles, St-Remy-de-Provence Bus

Department 13, Bouches-du-Rhône Buses

Nearby Places

Nearby Hotels

Nearby Places

Nearby Hotels