Amusements and things to do in the Alpes-de-Haute-Provence department in the South of France.
Aups - Var (83630)
Faykod Sculpture Park - Musée de Faykod
- Location: Route de Tourtour
- Web: www.musee-de-faykod.com
Brignoles - Var (83170)
Brignolais Region Museum - Musée du pays Brignolais
- A museum showing the history and life of the Brignoles area, with contents given by inhabitants of the region. The museum's chief exhibit is the Bayole tombstone, from the end of the 2nd century. The museum is nicely cluttered and interesting inside
- Location: Place des Comtes de Provence, the 12th-c Chateau of the Counts of Provence
- Open: Apr-Sept: Wed-Sat 9h-12h, 14h30-18h; Sun 9h-12h, 15h-18h
- Oct-Mar: Wed-Sat 10h-12h, 14h30-17h; Sun 10h-12h, 15h-17h
- Entry: 10€ (membership in the association)
- Tel: 0494 694 518; Fax: 0494 694 518
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.museebrignolais.com/
Cogolin - Var (83310)
Raimu Museum - Musée Raimu
- Follows the career of actor Raimu (aka Jules Auguste César Muraire), including the films Marius, La Femme du Boulanger, L'Homme au Chapeau Rond, Les Gaités de l'Escadron, and displays his César award. A part of the museum is also dedicated to the French film writer Jean Nohain.
- Location: Espace Raimu; 18 Ave Georges Clémenceau
- Open: 10h-12h, 15h-18h; July-Aug: 10h-12h, 16-19h
- Closed: Sun mornings; Tue (except school vacations)
- Entry: 3.5 €
- Tel: 0494 541 800; Fax: 0494 544 324
- Email: email@example.com
- Web: musee-raimu.com
Templars Museum - Musée Templier
- Association Empreintes et Traditions Maures et Provence.
Presents the Provencal history of the Knights Templars.
- Location: 5, rue Edgar Quinet (now Rue Saint Exupéry)
- Open: Wed-Mon 15h-18h; Jun-Aug 10h-12h, 17h-20h.
- Closed: Tue, holidays
- Tel: 0494 548 042, or 0494 949 018
Gonfaron (Village de tortues) - Var (83590)
Cork Museum - Eco-Musée du Liège de Gonfaron
- This Cork Museum has information about the cork oak tree, and a partially reconstructed old cork factory.
- Location: Gonfaron in on the N97, 10 km northeast of Carnoules
- Open: all year; hours: 9-12, 14-19; closed Mondays
- Tel: 0494 782 565; Fax: 0494 78 25 99
Grimaud - Var (83310)
Musée des Arts et traditions populaires
- Location: on the main D558 road along the bottom edge of the village (the same road as the Office de Tourisme).
- Open: afternoons 7 days a week: 14h00 - 17h30 from Monday to Saturday, and 14h00-17h00 Sundays and holidays.
- Entry: Free
- Tel: 0494 554 383, or 0494 944 929
- This nice little museum of ancient trades and traditions shows some local, rural industries, and depicts an olive-oil mill, a cork (bouchon) maker and a village appartment from the 19th century.
Hyères - Var (83400)
- Location: Forum du casino - 3, av Ambroise Thomas; BP 721, 83400 Hyeres
- Open: 7 July - 26 Sept, 14h-19h; Fridays open only 16h-22h
- Closed: Tue, Holidays
- Tel: 0498 080 198
- Web: www.villanoailles-hyeres.com
Pierrefeu-du-Var - Var (83390)
Chateau de l'Aumerade Santon Museum - Musée du Santon Santon
- Chateau de l'Aumerade winery has a Santon Museum with 1800 santons, a private collection of M. Henri Fabre, the owner of the Chateau.
- Location: Route de Puget-Ville
- Open: All year, 8h30-12h30, 13h30-17h30 (winter), -18h00 summer, -19h00 July-Aug.
- Tel: 0494 282 031
- Web: www.aumerade.com
Saint Raphaël - Var (83700)
Museum of Prehistory and Underwater Archaeology
- Located in the presbytery of the former San Raféu church. It houses local heritage collections. The great prehistoric periods are represented by rare objects fouond in recent excavations. The museum also has a large collecion of antique amphora and furnisings discovered during underwater excavations.
- Location: Place de la Vieille Eglise
- Open: Tue-Sat, 9h-12h30, 14h-17h30
- Closed: November; bank holidays
- Tel: 0494 192 575
Thoronet Abbey - Var (83340)
Thoronet Abbey Information
- Open: Apr - Sept: 10h-18h30 (Sundays 10h-12h, 14h-18h30)
- Oct - Mar: 10h-13h, 14h-17h (Sundays 10h12h, 14h-17h)
- Closed: Jan 1, May 1, Nov 1, Nov 11, Dec 25.
- Entry: 7 € unaccompagnied or guided.
- Tel: 0494 604 390; Fax: 04 94 60 43 94
- Web: thoronet.monuments-nationaux.fr/en/