Amusements and things to do in the Languedoc-Roussillon Region in the South of France. Between Provence and the Pyrénées, the Languedoc-Roussillon Region has mountains and Mediterranean beaches, and borders Spain.
Agde - Hérault (34300)
20 km southeast of Beziers; 25 km southwest of Sète.
Santons du Monde Museum - Musée Santons du Monde
- A display of over 2000 santons of Provence, in a 17th-century building.
- Location: 2 Ave de Vias (across from the Cathedral St-Etienne, on the banks of the Hérault)
- Open: Daily, July-Aug: 10h-20h; Sept-June: 14h-18h30
- Closed: January 1st
- Entry: €5.70
- Email: email@example.com
- Web: www.santonsdumonde.com
Aigues-Mortes - Gard (30220)
Le Monument d'Aigues-Mortes
- Visit the Tour de Constance and the Ramparts
- Location: Place Anatole France
- Entry: €6.50; 18-25 €4.50; under 17 free
- Tel: 0466 536 155; Fax: 0466 537 998
Musée Paleo Passion
- Location: 33 rue E. Jamais
- Open: every week-end and on school holidays in April, May and June. Open every day from June 15th to September 15th.
- Entry: Free
- Web: www.paleopassion.com
- The Paléo Passion Museum presents you a splendid fossils and minerals collection coming from Europe. Dinosaurs' eggs, ammonites, tribolites. Exhibition of more than 700 pieces for the great pleasure of children and adults.
Musée de la Torture
- Location: 3 rue de la République
- Entry: €7.00
- Tel: 0611 977 083
- An unique and international famous in the world exhibition. A visual synthesis of the torture story and its very impressive organ. Several inventions to torture and kill.
Anduze - Gard (30140)
Music Museum - Musée de la Musique
- A thousand musical instruments from around the world.
- Location: 4 Montée d'Alès
- Open: July-Aug: 7-days, 10h30-13h, 15h-18h30; School Vacations 14h30-18h
- Sun and holidays all year (except 25 Dec): 14h30-18h
- Closed: Jan-Feb
- Entry: 4 euros; kids 3 euros (2012)
- Tel: 0466 618 660; Fax: 0466 617 951
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.musee-musique.com
- This large private collection is in the heart of a Medieval village, on a shady site beside the river.
Arpaillargues Museum - Gard (30700)
- Location: Moulin de Chalier, ; Arpaillargues (eastern edge), 3 km west of Uzès
- Open: 1 June - 30 Sept: daily, 10h-29h
- 1 Oct - 31 May: Tue-Sun (closed Mon), 10h-12h, 14h-18h (but open on holiday Mondays)
- Closed: 15 Jan - 1 Feb, 25 Dec, 1 Jan
- Web: www.musee1900.com
Bagnols-sur-Cèze - Gard (30200)
- Contemporary and modern art, specializing in Provencal art.
- Location: Town Hall (Hôtel de Ville), Place Mallet, 2nd floor
- Open: Tue - Sun, 10h-12h, 14h-18h
- Closed: Monday, some holidays
- Entry: Free
- Tel: 0466 505 056
Céret - Pyrénées-Orientales (66400)
Museum of Musical Instruments - Musée des Instruments de Céret
- A beautifully presented display of about 400 musical instruments, from around the world, and including Catalan musical instruments.
Our Beyond page Céret Music Museum has photos of the museum displays.
- Location: 14 rue Pierre Rameil
- Open: 10h30-13h30, 14h30-19h00
- Entry: 5 €; under 7 free
- Web: www.music-ceret.com
Lézan - Gard (30350)
8 km southeast of Anduze; 15 km south of Alès; 30 km northwest of Nîmes.
Doll and Teddybear Museum - Musée des Poupées et Nounours
- A thousand teddybears, dolls and ancient toys are presented in a 12th-century house.
- Location: 4 Rue de l'Estrangladou
- Open: 14 July - 31 Aug: 7-days, 12h30-18h30; Sept - 13 July: Sat-Sun, 15h-18h, or by rendez-vous.
- Tel: 0455 831 957
- Email: email@example.com
- Web: myoldbear.free.fr
Mialet - Gard (30140)
12 km west of Alès; 5 km east of St Jean-du-Gard.
Desert Period Museum - Musée du Désert
- An historical museum for the "Desert" period of 1685-1787 in the Huguenot past of the Cevennes. From the Edict of Nantes to the Edict of Tolerance, the Camisards war, the persecutions and the resistance, up to the French Revolution.
- Location: Mas Soubeyran
- Open: Mar-Nov: daily, 9h30-12h, 14h-18h; 1 July - 1st Sunday Sept: 9h30-19h.
- Tel: 0466 850 272; Fax: 0466 850 002
- Web: museedudesert.com
- Free circulation or 1-hour comentary visit.
Nages-et-Solorgues - Gard (30114)
Nages Museum - Musée de Nages
- An archeological museum, with artifacts from the Oppidum de Nages and the Oppidum de St-Dionisy.
- Location: In the Mairie
- Open: You need to ask at the Mairie for entry.
Notre-Dame-de-la-Rouvière - Gard (30570)
Small village in the Cévennes National Park. - 30 km southwest of Alès; 12 km north of Ganges.
International Postman Museum - Musée international du Facteuo Facteur
- A collection of postal uniforms, hats, letter boxes, bicycles and other postal objects from 130 countries around the world. Collected with 20 years of research by to postmen.
- Location: In the village.
- Open: July-August: daily, 10h0-12h, 15h-19h; Sept-June: 14h-17h30 (phone to make sure).
- Tel: 0467 812 038
- Web: www,augoual-cevennes.com
- The museum belongs to the Community of Communes de L'Aigoual; maintained by the Office de Tourisme of the Canton de Valleraugue Mont-Aigoual.
Chateau de Porte - Gard (30530)
Chateau de Portes
- Medieval castel, with rooms on three floors renovated and open to visitors
- Location: Col de Portes, Gard, at the eastern edge of the Cévennes National Park.
GPS: 44.267810, 4.026432
- Open: Apr-May: Wed-Sun, 10h-12h, 13h-17h
- June-Sept: Tue-Sun, 10h-12h, 13h-17h
- Closed: Oct - Mar
- Entry: 5€
- Web: www.chateau-portes.org
Saint Gilles - Gard (30800)
Musée de la Maison Romane
- The museum is housed in a 12th-century Romanesque building, classified as an hisorical monument in 1862. The displays include natural history, archeology and regional history.
Stair climbing is required to see all of the museum. Apart from the ground-floor displays, there are two upper-floor sections, each with its own staircase to visit one room each on two higher floors.
- Location: Place de la Maison Romane
- Open: Apr-Oct 9h30-12h30, 14h-18; Nov-Dec, Feb-Mar 9h-12h30, 14h-17h30
- Closed: Sunday, holidays, all January
- Entry: Free
- Tel: 0466 874 042
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Saint Hippolyte-du-Fort - Gard (30170)
Silk Museum - Musée de la Soie - Gard-Cévennes
- Silk-Making museum and workshop, focused on the silk-making industry of the Cevennes in the 19th and 20th centuries.
- Location: Place 8 Mai
- Open: 1 Apr - 30 Nov: 10h-12h30, 14h-18h Tue-Sun (closed Mon except for holidays)
- 3 July - 27 Aug: 7-days, 10h-12h30, 14h-18h
- Guided tours in English on Wednesday, 11h30, during June - Sept.
- Tel: 0466 776 647; Fax: 0466 77 66 47
- Email: email@example.com
- Web: www.museedelasoie-cevennes.com/accueil.html
Saint Jean-du-Gard - Gard (30270)
Cévenoles Valley Museum - Musée des Vallée Cévenoles de St-Jean-du-Gard
- From chestnuts to silk. Located in a 17th-century inn, the museum is dedicated to people's arts and traditions, and deals with the history and the Cevenol Culture. Important to the development was the chestnut tree an silkworm breeding.
- Location: 95 Grand-Rue
- Open: July-Aug: daily, 10h-19h; Apr-Oct: daily, 10h-12h, 14h-19h;
- Nov-Mar: Tue, Thur 9h-12h, 14h-18h; Sun 14h-18
- Tel: 0466 851 048; Fax: 0466 851 361
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.museedescevennes.com
Saint Quentin-la-Potèrie - Gard (30700)
Mediterranean Pottery Museum - Musée de la Poterie Méditerranéenne
- Located in an ancient oil mill, sharing the courtyard entrance with the Gallery Terra Viva.
- Location: 14, rue de la Fontaine Maison de la Terre; Entrance inside a courtyard.
- Open: Feb-May 14h-18h; June 10h-13h, 15h-19h; July-Aug 10h-13h, 15h-19h; Sept 10-12, 14h-18h; Oct 14h-18h; Nov-Jan: wed-sun 14h-18h except school days.
- Closed: Sun, Mon
- Entry: 3 €; free for under 12.
- Tel: 0466 036 586
Sauve - Gard (30610)
Pitchfork Conservatory - Le Conservatoire de la Fourche
- A museum about making pitchforks from the nettle-tree (micocoulier). The micocoulier has been used for centuries to make pitchforks, by guiding the growth of the branches into the iconing three-pronged shape.
- Location: Les Cazernes
- Open: Apr-Sept, daily (except Sun), 9h30-12h30, 15-19h; Oct-March: Wed-sun, 14h-17h and School vacation days 14h-17h.
- Closed: Sun
- Entry: 4 €
- Tel: 0466 805 466
Vallabrègues - Gard (30300)
Musée de la Vannerie
- Location: Village, just north of Tarascon, southwest of Avignon
- Open: Wed-Sun, 14h-18h
- Tel: 0466 594 814; Fax: 04 66 59 48 14
- Vannerie (reeds) and historical artisanal objects. Grand Café 19th century.