The Medieval bridge of Vins-sur-Caramy is called the "Pont Romain", although it was built in the 14th-15th centuries. A long stone bridge with three wide arches crosses the Caramy at the bottom of a wide dam spillway, at the south edge of the village.
Also: | Vins-sur-Caramy |
A low "dos d'âne" (donkey-back) hump for each of the 3 arches, curved roadway and side "garages" give the bridge an interesting and graceful form.
Shady picnic areas, with tables, are located on the far (south) side. The bridge is a resting place for tired cyclists, and forestry roads on the south side appear to be popular with hikers. A marked trail goes 1600 m east from the bridge to a grotto where local Resistance fighters were martyred during the 1939-45 war.
IGN (1/25,000) #3444 OT "Brignoles Le Luc"