| Sites Main-page | Sites A-Z | Abbeys, Chapels | Bridges, Dams | Chateaux, Forts | Gorges, Clues | Islands | Lakes | Mountains | Observatories | Plains, Parks | Rivers, Waterfalls | Roman Sites | Unusual Sites | Valleys |
• Alp'Azur Chocolaterie - Restaurant,
Chocolate Factory (Chocolaterie artisanale),
Homemade Ravioli (Pâtes fraîches maison)
and Train Station.
Located by Villars-sur-Var in the Alpes-Maritimes, the Auberge Alp'Azur is housed in the old railway station of the Train des Pignes (the train still stops here). The restaurant is good, with very friendly service, and the homemade chocolate is outstanding.
• Bories (Bories - Capitelles) - A Borie is a dry-stone structure, generally a one-room cabin. The smallest can be a single, low room where a shepherd could weather out a storm or a cold night. More typically, the single room borie is big enough to stand upright in, with space for a fire and often a shelf or two built into the thick stone walls.
Larger bories can have multiple rooms, right up to the largest we know of, which is an entire borie village (Village de Bories) at Gordes in the Vaucluse department.
• Calernaum Gouffre
• Callas Mill (Moulin de Callas) [area map] - The Moulin de Callas is a small olive-oil mill in the village of Callas, northeast of Draguignan in the Var department. The current mill uses modern equipment housed in a low building just above the original mill.
• Lascaux Grotto [area map]
• Lavender Museum (Musée de la Lavande) [area map] - The Lavender Museum is located in the hamlet of Coustellet, in the commune of Cabrières-d'Avignon, 9 km northeast of Cavaillon and 20 km west of Apt.
• Roquefavour Aqueduct [area map] - The Roquefavour Aqueduct is a beautiful 19th-century 3-tier stone aqueduct across the Arc river about 10 km west of Aix-en-Provence. Roquefavour, the world's highest stone aqueduct, was built in the style of the Roman Pont de Gard aqueduct as part of the Canal de Marseille.
Links verified 4 April, 2009, updated 11 July, 2013.
- Grotte Chauvet Pont-d'Arc - by the French Culture web (French)
- Grotte Cosquer (Marseille) - (culture.gouv) Grotto with paleolithic art (French)
- Grotte Cosquer (Marseille) - (JLVillon) Grotto with paleolithic art (French)
- Grotte de Lascaux - by the French Culture web (English, French, German, Spanish)
- Rupestre RockArt (Monte Bego Petroglyphs) - Iron-Age rock art in the Vallée des Mervilles (English)