A cream-filled tart.
Recipe (6 servings)
Preparation: 1 hour
Cooking: 25 min
300 g flour [farine]
110 g butter [beurre]
5 eggs [oeuf]
150 g powdered sugar
granulated sugar (handfull)
1 litre milk [lait]|
8 g baker's yeast (1/2 tblsp) [levure de boulanger]
2 cloves vanilla
granulated sugar = refined or castor sugar (sucre cristalisé)
powdered sugar (sucre glace)
1. Thin the yeast in a half-cup of tepid water, then mix with 100 g of the flour. Cover the dough with a cloth and leave to double in volume (about 2 hours, depending on the ambient temperature).
2. Put 200 g of the flour on the work surface in a ring. Add in 50 g of powdered sugar, 60 g of softened butter, 2 whole eggs and a pinch of salt.
3. Knead the mixture thoroughly, slowly adding in the yeast-flour mixture. Roll the dough into a ball, put in a baking bowl, cover with a cloth and let sit for another 2 hours.
4. Roll the dough out evenly. Cut into a circle and press the rolled dough into the bottom of a buttered baking tin.
5. Paint the dough with the yolk of an egg, and sprinkle on the granulated sugar. (Save the egg white for later.)
6. Bake in a medium oven, 350°F (180°C), for 25 minutes.
The Cream Sauce
1. Boil vanilla clove in the milk.
2. In a bowl, mix together 100 g of powdered sugar, 20 g flour, 2 egg yolks and 50 g of softened butter. (Save the egg whites for later.)
3. Add in the vanilla-milk slowly while beating well. Put the mixture in a sauce pan and heat to thicken for a few minutes on a low flame, stirring constantly. Set aside to cool.
4. Beat the three egg whites, with a pinch of salt, into a froth and mix into the cream sauce.
5. Remove the tart from the oven and let cool. Cut horizontally into two parts, and layer on the cream sauce between the two. Sprinkle some powdered sugar on top, and serve.
1 kg = 2.2 lbs
0.45 kg = 1 lb
1 lt = 1.06 qt
0.95 lt = 1 qt
30 g = 1 oz = 2 Tbs
60 g = 2 oz = 1/4 cup
115 g = 4 oz = 1/2 cup
180 g = 6 oz = 3/4 cup
225 g = 8 oz = 1 cup
450 g = 16 oz = 1 pint