There are a variety of "webcam" methods being used, not all what we would consider "web cameras". They range from live video images to still photos with uncertain updating schedules, and worse.
We've found a few real webcams of our favorite parts of Provence and a bit of the rest of France. Close to home, the camera at the CERGA observatory gives us a live view across the Plateau de Calern, where we frequently start local day-hikes.
Beyond Friend Shin has installed two high-definition webcams on the Riviera:
• Beaulieu-sur-Mer Webcam captures the bay of Beaulieu-sur-Mer towards Eze Village and La Turbie.
• Villefranche Webcam looks out onto the Rade at Villefranche-sur-Mer.
Still Photos - updated every few minutes during the day, aren't as good as live cameras, but if they're really updated frequently we can't complain. We check out the Saint Martin-Vésubie webcam from time to time to check on the weather here, since we begin many of our Mercantour hikes from the Saint Martin-Vésubie area.
Repeating Loops - These seem a bit of a rip-off mainly because they pretend to be live. Only if you watch for awhile do you realize the same people are passing across the scene again, and again, and again... Some do have the date and time indicated in the corner, so if you think to look at that detail you see what's happening. Still, the images are interesting. On the Promenade des Anglais view of the Nice - Promenade des Anglais site we watched the early-morning beach-goers, and some creative driving with the passing traffic.
Some of our favorite webcams are listed below.
- Beaulieu-sur-Mer Webcam - High-definition, large-format webcam captures the bay of Beaulieu-sur-Mer and beyond. You can identify the Villa Keylos, Eze Village and La Turbie. On a [very] clear day, you may have a chance to discover Corsica. Refreshes every 10 min.
- Calern Plateau - Calern - Observatoire de la Côte d'Azur. History views available. (Live)
Cannes - View of the harbor area.
- Grasse Webcams - Repeating loop, from 13 June 2006 (Loop)
- Isola 2000 - Webcams on the ski slopes
- Mercantour St Martin-Vésubie - Updated every few minutes during the day. (Stills)
- Mont Ventoux, Mont Serein - North side of Mont Ventoux. Photo, updated every few days? (Static)
Montpellier Webcam - View of the Place de la Comedie
- Nice Promenade des Anglais - Repeating loops, different cameras on the Nice seafront. History views available. (Loop)
- Valberg - (Stills)
- Villefranche Webcam - High-definition, large-format webcam located on the roof of a villa in Pont St.Jean looks out onto the Rade at Villefranche-sur-Mer.
Links verified 15 July, 2013, updated 29 July, 2014.